Partner, Mayer Brown
David Beam is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Washington DC office and a member of the Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement practice. David’s practice encompasses a broad range of matters related to financial services, with a focus on innovative financial technologies and products. His practice includes:
- Defending companies in connection with federal and state governmental audits, investigations and enforcement proceedings;
- Providing clients with regulatory compliance and related business planning advice;
- Representing clients in connection with investments and acquisitions related to financial services companies;
- Conducting regulatory due diligences of investment and acquisition targets;
- Structuring joint ventures and other business arrangements;
- Obtaining approvals, licenses and regulatory guidance from US federal and state financial regulators;
- Preparing terms and conditions for financial products and services; and
- Assisting in litigation matters, including putative class action proceedings.
The clients David represents comprise a broad spectrum of the financial services industry. He represents banks and bank affiliates, fintech companies, investment banks, venture capital funds, money services businesses, non-bank commercial and consumer lenders, and payment system providers. His clients range from startups to some of the world’s largest financial institutions.
David presents and publishes extensively on matters affecting the financial services industry. He is a regular speaker at seminars and conferences on a wide range of topics, including fintech, credit (both commercial and consumer), payments, and investigations and enforcement actions by the CFPB and other agencies. He is active in the American Bar Association’s Consumer Financial Services Committee and is the vice-chair of the Deposit Products and Payment Systems Subcommittee. He is also a past chair of the committee’s Preemption and Federalism Subcommittee.
David was named a rising star in Washington DC by Super Lawyers magazine 2013-2015.